Tom Price, Donald Trump’s nominee to head the Department of Health and Human Services, has a plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act that will absolutely devastate Medicare and do tremendous harm to seniors and the disabled.
Price’s plan will:
- Potentially render Medicare immediately insolvent by eliminating the Medicare Health Insurance (HI) tax increases on high income earners.
- Eliminate preventative screenings
- Eliminate the closing of the Medicare Part D “Donut Hole” in 2020
- Preempt state laws that limit the amount doctors and hospitals can charge for services.
- “Allow” participants to put their own money into Medical Savings Accounts.
- Inevitably result in large, across the board premium increases for all participants.
After careful examination, Price’s plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act primarily benefits the very wealthy and leaves working and middle class folks paying the bill. What it does to the poor and the working poor is put them at the mercy of State Legislatures. Price’s plan is repeal and replace with nothing, except tax cuts for the richest 1%.
A more detail summary of Price’s plan can be found here.